IA Senior Manager ACS Operations Performance
What makes DHL great?
Our People! We know each employee’s individual contributions make us the
#1 Express Delivery and Logistics Company in the world.
DHL Express is committed to maintaining an environment that empowers every team member to make the greatest possible impact on our business. Our corporate culture is about personal commitment – to our business, to each other and to our global communities. DHL is dedicated to being a great place to work. In addition to competitive compensation packages, our employees enjoy a range of programs, services and benefits that bring the best to their personal lives.
Start YOUR career with DHL today…
This position is part of the Americas Cargo division of DHL Aviation – Air Capacity Sales, or “ACS” – which is an organization that sells excess air network capacity to freight forwarders. The ACS group is a high growth unit, with revenue tripling in the last three years to over one billion dollars. ACS is a key contributor to the success of Express, as the ACS proceeds are returned to Express as reduced airline haul costs.
This position is based at MIA and serves as the primary operations interface between ACS and its service providers which include the Express Service Centers, Hubs, NPG, NCG, and the Gateways, as well as other external 3rd party handling and trucking companies. The ACS service organization is a “virtual” organization, so the manager must be comfortable running an operation using internal and external suppliers. The criteria used to evaluate success will be transit performance, capacity utilization, and operational unit costs.
Responsible for developing and implementing operating procedures between ACS and the global internal and external service providers, creating the appropriate service level targets, developing and analyzing service delivery performance, developing and leveraging ACS tools and technology, and driving improved performance at reduced unit costs.
- Operational Planning - Work with ACS service providers to design and implement standard operating processes and service performance objectives, including
- DHL Express Hubs, and Gateways
- Other ACS regional counterparts
- 3rd party handling companies
- Trucking companies
- Interline carriers
- Network Control, Network Planning, Linehaul Planning, and ULD management
- Day-to-Day Operations – Reviews daily service performance. Identifies shortfalls and assists operations on immediate and long term recovery contingencies. (e.g. station staffing issues, import customs delay, lost export documentation, shipment misroutes, etc..)
- Customer management – Personally handles escalated complaints from key account management
- Capacity Planning – Work with Network Planning to determine ACS capacity availability. Translate that information into “inventory for sale” via the ACS capacity management system. Propose and implement new truck routes to supplement air capacity. Work with the hubs and service centers to improve ULD capacity utilization in order to improve ACS revenue opportunities
- Analysis and Quality Improvement – Develop the data, success metrics, and analytical capabilities needed to measure and improve service performance and reduce unit costs. Focus areas include:
- ACS Ops “Dashboard” creation and maintenance
- Hub connectivity
- By-pass and ESO compliance
- Scanning / Check-point compliance
- Flown as booked
- Capacity utilization – Deep analysis of ACS capacity utilization, overnight vs second day splits, overbooking, etc. for purposes of creating incremental revenue opportunities
- Technology – Function as the US expert on ACS systems. Educate IA ACS users on how to leverage Cognos, TGV, pTGV, and CMS. Convert manual reporting and data capture to automated processes. Lead US development requests for system enhancements Manage all Ops technology issues – reliability, access, training, etc
- Vendor Management – Select and manage directly and / or with the Express Linehaul team the contract and operational performance for all third party truck (linehaul & hotshot) providers. Measure and improve performance of all 3rd party handling agreements. Develop and measure service performance while reducing unit costs
- Regulatory – Ensure all safety, security, and regulatory requirements are incorporated into ACS in-house and 3rd party operating procedures
- Project Management – Lead large scale operational projects (e.g. select a new 3rd party handler, migrate the IA to the global EGAP software platform). Utilize common project management / process improvement tools (1st choice, six sigma, Prince2, lean, etc…) in order to deliver and communicate results on-time and on-budget
- Supervision – work in the project management structure, creating virtual teams of ACS, Express, and 3rd party vendors to deliver results. Permanent resources may be moved under this role
Given that most of the Ops staff is “virtual”, the person in this role will routinely partner with managers, directors, and VP’s outside the ACS organization in order to deliver the ACS service requirements. As such, the candidate must be highly credible, persuasive, and comfortable leading a group of peers
Regularly interacts with ACS customers, often when the customers are irate. The ability to be calming, compassionate, and action oriented is very important in order to retain customers (some of which produce as much as $30MM / yr) during a service problem.
This role is the primary point of accountability for insuring service integrity is maintained for the $100MM / yr International Americas business.
Success in this role is dependent on delivering results using people not under the manager’s direct supervision. As a result, the person in this role must be exceptionally skillful is managing the performance of people.
Develops and implements the ACS service policies and procedures. Works with DHL Express counterparts and global ACS contacts to establish SOP’s and SLA’s. Responsible for measurement and achieve of service targets. Responsible to implement a data driven approach to driving continuous improvement in service levels.
- BA/BS degree required; additional technical training a plus
- 7-10 years of operations experience in the air cargo or Express field. Diversity of front line and staff experience preferred
- Ability to travel 25% + of the time
- Motivated – must be driven and self-guided. Must have a passion for getting things done better and more quickly
- Strength in process management, with experience developing and implementing new initiatives. Some quality improvement experience is desired using one of the leading process improvement formats (1st choice, six sigma, prince2, etc…)
- Quantitative – must “manage by the numbers”. Must have demonstrated strength developing and utilizing performance measurement processes to improve results. Must be highly competent compiling data in Excel, and being able to perform analysis and draw insights. Access, VB, etc a plus
- Technology – Prefer someone who has played a leadership role in developing requirements and implementing new technology in large organizations
- Communications – must be adept at presenting ideas and concepts to groups in both formal and informal settings
- Project management / change management exposure – Candidate experience working in a project environment, where tasks, owners, and timelines have been developed and managed. Additionally, experience with some formal change management forum is preferred
- Vendor management – experience managing service delivery using a 3rd party vendor – eg SLA development, compliance training, vendor scorecard, performance incentives / penalties, etc.
DHL is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Facts and Figures
<15% of the time
I like working for DHL because it is the worldwide leader in logistics where customers and employees are always in focus.
Current Employee – Project Manager in Bonn