Sr Director, Regional Export Control Officer
The Regional Export Control Officer (RECO), Americashelps the DHL Express team understand and comply with federal export control regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and the regulations administered by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) in addition to similar other export regulations applicable to the territories in the Americas region. The RECO is responsible for export control oversight, including the development of training, education compliance and assessment tools, and the implementation of policies and procedures to promote the DHL Express ongoing compliance with export control laws.
The RECO reports to the Vice President of Customs and Regulatory Affairs for the Americas with a functional reporting line to the Global Export Control Officer.
Tasks & Accountabilities
- Implement global Standard Operating Procedures, instructions & training in the area of Export Control (Denied Party Regulations & Embargo / Sanction Rules) and regularly monitor and drive adherence to it
- Drive, coordinate policy development and procedures and monitor required Regional & Country Export Compliance governance, execution and promotion of core compliance activities, including due diligence processes and constant monitoring activities and processes to drive policy and compliance Recommends resource requirements and actions for the implementation of all Denied Party and other export control-related requirements, while adhering to global KPIs
- Provide regional leadership and direction to ensure full compliance with the global SOP for Export Control
- Disseminates information to facilitate compliance with export control regulations.
- Provide input into the definitions and deployment of Denied Party & Sanction Screening tool in IT-systems for all involved Business Partners
- Participate in user group and other relevant meetings and teams to ensure global consistency on approach and implementation on Export Controls
- Responsible for delivering continuous improvements and sharing good practice globally
- Drive change and implement global processes across internal functions
- Provide necessary leadership in terms of advice, training and guidance in the area of Export Control
- Identify, monitor and report regional risks. Identify and work with regional functional leads to develop and implement risk mitigation plans
- Support the country, regional and global Customs, Operations and other internal teams in export control related compliance activities such as training, investigations and communications
- Responsible for implementation of relevant and efficient regional/country-level controls/sanctions and countermeasures while being mindful of country-specific controls and customer and business impact
- Act as functional leader of the AM Denied Party Screening Center and drive compliance, efficiency and effectiveness of all screening processes in the Denied Party Screening Center
- Act as key contact for escalations from regional Express colleagues and customers and handle escalations within the global Export Control framework
Skills & Qualifications
- Extensive knowledge of Export Control regulations including Denied Party regulations, embargo /sanction rules and Strategic Trade Controlled goods focus on US controls including their extra-territorial aspects
- Understanding of the impact of technology solutions on the export control
- In depth knowledge of due diligence processes for embargo / sanction countries
- Self-starter, Self-motivated individual capable of negotiating with global and regional contacts and implement the global export control framework (including global SOP).
- Ability to think strategically. Willing to tackle new challenges, navigate complex issues, and design solutions.
- A thorough understanding of specific aspects of work supervised and practical application to problems and situations ordinarily encountered.
- Develops advanced concepts, techniques, and standards.
- Develops new applications based on professional principles and theories.
- Viewed as expert in functional or business area within DHL.
- Deals with cross-cultural tactical issues. Ability to Lead and Manage cross-functionally
- Ability to lead and manage change, projects, processes and improvements across multiple functions
- Strong Program/Project and time management skills, including ability to direct multiple projects simultaneously
- Team leader, collaborator, and skillful driver of change. Supporter of strategic plans to drive growth through the use of leadership attributes. Able to influence with demonstrated business acumen, empower employees, and motivate teams
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong negotiation & influencing skills
- Good training skills
- 10 to 15 years of business experience including: 5-10 years of export control, legal, regulatory compliance, Denied Party Screening solutions including solution implementation or related experience required.
- Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Law or another related subject with strong operational experience in the Express environment and compliance or appropriate business experience
- Fluent English and Spanish language is a requirement. Fluent in Portuguese is a benefit.
- Post Graduate Study in Customs & External Trade or Compliance is a benefit
- Ability to relocate to Costa Rica
- Travel 40%
Facts and Figures
<50% of the time
I like working for DHL because it is the worldwide leader in logistics where customers and employees are always in focus.
Current Employee – Project Manager in Bonn